Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hawaii



We had an awesome time in Hawaii. 8 wonderful days of no work, worries, kids. Only had to worry about ourselves and Eric's only worry was when he was going to eat next. It was so much fun. We met almost all of Eric's brothers and sisters and their spouses there. It was fun ti just be there with the adults and there were a few kids but it was so much fun.
We boarded the plane on Thursday the 31st and could not wait to get there. However, when we got to Maui we had to catch another plane for Kona. I knew we were in for it when we asked the TSA guy where this Pacific Wings is and he was like "Oh you are flying them?" and another said he would pray for us when we asked again. Cheri and I were freaking out. Come to find out it was a little 9 passenger prop jet. It was the longest 50 minutes of my life. I feared for my life and was holding on for dear life. But we made it and I vowed never to get on a plane like that again. We had a bigger plane coming back home.
We spent just about everyday in the water either snorkeling or diving. Eric was in heaven. While diving we got down to 121 feet. I didn't realize we had gotten that deep, I was following our dive guide and he was checking out some wire coral. We saw lots of yellow tang, and just about all the fish from Finding Nemo. We went on a night dive and saw a manta ray. It was huge and you hold up your flashlight and all the plankton gather and the manta ray will swim right over your head. It kept hitting my sister in law Janet in the head. And of course the one thing that I really wanted to see and finally did was a sea turtle. It was cool to be in the water with them as they swam so gracefully.
When we weren't in the water, we were hanging out. We did go to the volcano park, Hilo Hatties, hiked to see some waterfalls and even went to see The Dark Knight. Of course we also had to look for gifts for the boys. Andrew requested a coconut and a tiger shark tooth necklace. Josh also wanted a shark tooth necklace and Alex wanted something green. Overall we had an awesome time and were sad to see our time come to an end.
My parents survived watching the boys for us. Thanks so much for taking care of our boys, I know it wasn't easy. They are on a much deserved quiet vacation now.

So here are some pictures from our trip. Enjoy!




For Eric this is what it was all about.


Eagle Ray


These were everywhere you looked.


I even got to hold an octopus. It was pretty cool




Eric and I doing our Maori impression to get ready for the luau


On the black sand beach.


Akaka Falls. Beautiful


Our last day in Kona.

5 comments:

Trish said...

So beautiful! So jealous :)

Nikki said...

I am soooooooooo JEALOUS, I am glad you guys enjoyed yourselves! I want to be in the suit case next time though.

johnandcourtney said...

I am so glad you guys had the best time. You deserved it. Thank you again for last night. It was so wonderful.

Liz Laudie said...

Glad you got so much diving in. I know that diving is something you have been training at for a while. Great underwater pictures.

Jenni said...

Hello, friend! I was totally leaning toward a Caribbean vacation for our next major couples trip, but now I'm thinking Hawaii!?!?! Whatever happened to the three of us getting together. I'm totally in now that school has started - Any night of the week except Tuesdays. Tell Eric good job on getting my BIL a calling - it's about time!