Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Big Marathon

Ok so by many standards this was just a little nothing of a marathon, maybe it can't even be considered one. But for me it was huge. 3K a whole 1.8 miles. This from the girl who just had knee surgery 5 months ago and was told no high impact sports. Running I think is considered high impact and my knee has definitely been complaining everyday since. I was roped into this by my sister in laws and brothers. They know I just can't say no. Peer pressure it gets to me every time and here I am 34 years old.
Anyway, I started running 2 weeks before the big day and about died. It was pathetic.
The day of the race came and we set out. Courtney, who had not trained at all left us in her dust. I was dying but was determined to not walk ran the whole way. Ok maybe I walked for about 30 seconds. I ran the 1.8 in 20.11.
Courtney and Erin placed 2nd and 3rd in their age bracket. John placed 1st in his(he hadn't trained at all either,punk). They got medals. I took 5th in my age bracket, to many of us old ladies out there running.
Andrew, Carter and Josh also ran. They did the 1K. They had fun. It was a fun day all in all. Even though I spent the remainder of the day laying on the couch with ice on my knee. And guess what, I signed up for...the Provo City 1/2 marathon in May. I think I am insane! Peer Pressure again. My knee is still hurting, I think it is trying to tell me no more, just say no.
From 2009-09-21 alex 4th 3k

The boys getting ready for the 6K
From 2009-09-21 alex 4th 3k

Ready for the 3K
From 2009-09-21 alex 4th 3k

I know I look ready to die!
From 2009-09-21 alex 4th 3k

Not even winded!
From 2009-09-21 alex 4th 3k

This kid cracks me up! He wanted to give us high fives!
From 2009-09-21 alex 4th 3k

All of us minus Andrew. We don't know where he was!

2 comments:

Becca Brown said...

You should be proud of yourself. That's amazing your knee held up through the whole thing. Best of luck training for your 1/2 marathon. I am thinking about running a 5K in October. I have been running & can do the 5K, but I'm sure tired when I'm done. I keep hoping I won't be as tired each time I do it. If I'd quit pushing myself to go faster then maybe I'd be able to handle it better. Any tips??

"THE" fab 5 said...

great job! is that david eves?